Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cold Feet

I had the first full weekend with no showings in quite some time. The odd thing is, is that I was busy showing during the week. Who knows, perhaps with people getting time off, they use the weekends for leisure activities. I am not complaining, as I spent the weekend going to the various local events. The Narrowsburg Riverfest was a relaxing way to spend an afternoon, and some of the art work that was auctioned off was pretty special.

I did get a call from a buyer of mine, who is scheduled to sign contracts tomorrow. He e-mailed me a few other listings, that he wants to see before he stops by the lawyers office, and we once again discussed the compromises he is making on this house, and the "shortfalls" for lack of a better term. I did my best to dissuade his fears, without sounding like a pitchman, (because I think once I come across as a "salesman", I've lost my credibility.) But I know he still has a bit of trepidation.

This is the third time I have shown a buyer other houses, after an accepted offer, and a satisfactory inspection, and in this case a succesful appraisal. The classic example of cold feet.

I can certainly empathize. I think we have all been in that position where once the excitement and the rush wear off, you are left with that nagging doubt, and that feeling in the pit of your stomach that you may have made a horrible mistake, and the perfect home at a perfect price is out there somewhere, and you have missed it.

I have made the comment before that the only two times I see a buyer perfectly happy, is when they finally find the home they want, and at the closing table when they finally own the home. The whole process in between is fraught with uneasiness, as the different obstacles are negotiated, and it can be quite frightening. It is such a huge investment, that often every decision is second guessed and agonized over. It's human nature, to worry when you are out of your comfort zone.

It can be frustrating at times as a broker, because it seems a buyer will do a one-eighty, often overnight. All I can do, is stress value, and assure that these hiccups are in every deal.

Buying a home, even if it is a second home is an emotional undertaking from the moment the buyer walks through a house, and "feels" it is right, until, they sign their name on the check ( or mortgage) with a bunch of zeros. Of course there will be fear and a bit of regret mixed in. I just hope my attempts at allaying those fears (whether they by that house, or a different one) help ease the apprehension, and make the process a bit smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment